Sunday, October 23, 2005

First PC

My first PC was a used Tandy 1000, purchased from my brother in 1985 or 86 (or thereabouts). I spent many hours playing Sierra games, including the King's Quest series, The Black Cauldron and Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.

I used the Tandy for simple word processing as recently as the late 90's, after several years of disuse. I had quite a time remembering all of the commands, since it operated in DOS! I don't think it even had a mouse, just a cheap joystick for gaming. It used 5.25" floppies. Alas, it is no more; finally disposed of it last year. The Tandy was a workhorse, and it would not die!

My only experience with computers prior to the Tandy was brief forays to the computer lab in college for stats and psych testing classes. Of course, I'm quite a bit more savvy now, though I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to web design, html and the like.

Just an aside: I posted earlier this week that I planned to stop blogging. I just don't seem to have a lot of interesting thoughts to write about these days. I'm going to keep my blog up for the time being. I'll photoblog some of the time, and post thoughts when the mood strikes.

5 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

oh so glad to hear that you will continue to blog!

Joe Tornatore said...

i was in Best buy the other day and there is a new Leisure Suit Larry Out. i shutter to think what Larry could do with today's graphics.

Merci said...

VG-
I just have to relax a little bit, I think! I want friends to be able to stop by and leave messages. I'd miss that!

Joe-
I'm shuddering, too! In the age of Grand Theft Auto, a character like LLL could take on a whole new dimension (literally, w/ 3-D graphics)!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the new Leisure Suit Larry is not like the ones that Al Lowe made. I played it for about 15 minutes, and then removed it from my computer. It was terrible.

I also liked the King's Quest games. They were some of my favorites. Did you hear about the folks who were working on a fan game of King's Quest? Apparentely they worked on it for years, and they were about to release it for free when it got shut down. Some other fans made a website to try to save it. www.savekqix.org

Merci said...

Anonymous-
I'll check out the website! I loved those games.