Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rain

I think it's been raining for a week now. I love the rain, but I'm ready for a change.

We stopped by Sea Isle City to see the ocean this morning, and it was a sight to see. Layers of tall breakers are pounding the beach, while a misty, wind-driven rain frosts your hair and slicks your face. It's an off-season sight that not too many people get to see. We were there close to low tide. If the flooding on the back bays isn't too bad, we might go in for high tide this afternoon to take some pictures, if we haven't cozied up with coffee and old movies by then. We took pictures with our cell phones, but the images are only good for cell phone wallpaper. Gotta go back with my digicam or my 35mm.

The rotten weather has set me off on my imagined travels again. We're off of work. We could whip out a credit card and set off on a whirlwind vacation. Maybe Williamsburg, VA, where we spent our honeymoon. Haven't been there for several years now, and it's a place I love. Maybe Florida; my brother moved to Orlando last year. Are there any hurricanes expected down there right now? I haven't been paying attention. Too much rain of our own. Maybe Niagara falls, although it's probably raining there, too!

We have passports, so why not fly off for a weekend in London or Paris (my bank account just screamed in anticipated agony, did you hear it)? I've never been to Paris. I've only passed through London (Heathrow, really, on the way to Dublin - long story involving an airline strike, lost luggage and a broken camera, followed by driving on the wrong side of the road, in a backwards car, at rush hour, in the most populous area of Ireland - and I'd go back in a heartbeat).

But it's not to be this time around, and I'm really not complaining. It's just the rain.

2 comments:

Virginia Gal said...

oh you must do London - it is a fantastic city!!! Right now hotels there are reasonably priced and British Airways and Virgin (who I hate!) are giving some good package deals, so your bank account won't feel too bad. I would love to live there! I'm always looking for an excuse to go :-)

Merci said...

I have a feeling that I will love it, too!

Flew on BA once before and loved it.

We'll go soon!